22 York Street, Oakey, QLD, 4401
Freemasonry opens the door to men of good character from all walks of life and from diverse religions. You’ll always find a friendly welcome – we’re ordinary men developing our potential, supporting each other and working for good in the community. Learn more
In addition to Lodge meetings we believe in involving families and friends in activities that range from get-togethers after meetings to fundraising for worthwhile causes. Contact the Lodge Secretary for more details.
Ashlar Lodge No 127 UGLQ, began as Lodge Diamond No 901 Scottish Constitution in Oakey, Queensland. Lodge Diamond was consecrated on the 18 of October 1899 under the Grand Lodge of Scotland. The founder of the lodge was RW Bro James Spiers PDDGM.
RW Bro Spiers had also founded Douglas Lodge in Rockhampton, Mount Morgan in Mount Morgan, Darling Downs in Toowoomba, Cunningham in Warwick and Pittsworth in Pittsworth.
The Lodge Diamond Warrant was issued on the 1 of Feb 1900 and the colours of the Lodge were Blue and Gold. The first master of the lodge was Wor Bro William Henry Pimlott. The Consecration Ceremony was attended by many freemasons from different constitutions and from local and interstate lodges.
When the English and Irish Lodges formed the Queensland Constitution in 1904, Lodge Diamond decided to join; however, that only lasted for a year from 1904 to 1905. The Grand Lodge of Scotland was not happy with this and did not recognise the Grand Lodge of Queensland.
As a consequence, Lodge Diamond was one of five Queensland Constitution lodges that would split in two, with some members staying true to Scotland. This resulted in a hand-written dispensation to reform Lodge Diamond from the Grand Lodge of Scotland. This document is now hanging on the eastern wall of the Lodge. The other members formed a new lodge called Oakey No 36 Grand Lodge of Queensland.
RW Bro Spiers would remain a member of both lodges, although he would later be expelled from Lodge Diamond for being a member of a Queensland Constitution, which was not recognized by Scotland at the time.
Lodge Diamond would continue under the Grand Lodge of Scotland until they again joined the Queensland Grand Lodge in 1920 and the number would change to No 93 and then, when the United Grand Lodge of Queensland (UGLQ) was formed in 1921, the number of the Lodge would change to No 127.
Oakey Lodge No 36 would remain a member of the Grand Lodge of Queensland until the formation of the UGLQ, at which point the Lodge was given a new number, No 128.
Both lodges would remain in Oakey until 1926 when Oakey No 128, UGLQ, would re-join Lodge Diamond No 127 and would form Ashlar No 127 UGLQ.
Ashlar Lodge is very unique as it has five old warrants and the afore mentioned dispensation on the East wall. Three warrants and the dispensation relating to Lodge Diamond and two warrants relating to Oakey Lodge.
Ashlar Lodge No 127 has it’s warrant housed in a purpose built, curtained, frame on the South Eastern wall. The building also hosts the Oakey Royal Arch Chapter, the Charter of which is housed in an identical frame on the North Western wall.
On the 9 of March 1911; Mr George Lane, architect, called for tenders to build the current temple. The temple was built by Wor Bro Frederick Robert Bauer (who built many halls in Oakey). The Lodge Diamond Secretary reported to the lodge on the 1 February 1912, that the temple was completed and that all accounts had been paid by the Trustees.
Ashlar Lodge No. 127 continues today with a mix of members which keeps the lodge vibrant. It is a lodge with an interesting history. As well as the five Warrants on the wall in the East there are past master’s pictures on the Northern and Southern walls.
Freemasons are a diverse group of men from all walks of life, from many religions and many backgrounds. Becoming a Freemason is a commitment to develop your own potential, to values that see all humankind as equal, and to helping others in our community.